IRISH HOCKEY LEAGUE: Banbridge storm to victory over Railway Union in Dublin

Monkstown's Isaac De Boe Agnew and goalkeeper David Fitzgerald in defensive mode.
Monkstown's Isaac De Boe Agnew and goalkeeper David Fitzgerald in defensive mode.

There were few home comforts on day two of the men’s EY Hockey League with Banbridge, Cork C of I, Monkstown and Pembroke all recording away wins while Annadale drew with Three Rock Rovers.

Bann were the big winners, running up five second half goals in Sandymount in Dublin to beat Railway Union 6-1. After an initially close first half, separated only by Josh Moffett’s 29th minute goal, the Co Down side ran riot in the second half with Eugene Magee and Fraser Mills to the fore.

Magee netted once while Neil Gilmore, Stephen Dowds and Jamie Wright also filled their boots to claim a second win from two games this term. They are joined on that mark by Monkstown and Cork C of I who beat Lisnagarvey and Glenanne, respectively.

Town built an imposing 3-0 lead in their up-tempo tie with Davy Carson’s close range effort augmented by Gareth Watkins and a deft touch from Kyle Good. Garvey fought back with a pair of corner goals from Andy Williamson and Stevie Arbuthnot but Andrew Ward’s quick reply deflated that momentum.

James Lorimer’s penalty stroke was saved by David Fitzgerald to deny Garvey a grandstand finish and Good’s second goal killed off the game 5-2.

John Jermyn was the hero in Tallaght for C of I as they beat Glenanne 4-2, netting his second consecutive hat trick. He scored twice in the closing quarter from set pieces to settle a closely matched tie.

Eddie O’Malley and Philip Brownlow exchanged goals in the first seven minutes before Jermyn put Cork in front at 2-1. A spectacular Gary Shaw goal tied things up at half-time. But a penalty stroke and a corner drag-flick from Jermyn fired C of I to the victory.

Three Rock Rovers were seconds away from win number two for the campaign but were denied by Chris Jackson’s back post tip in to Peter McKibbin’s powerful ball in to earn Annadale a 1-1 draw. James Walker had given Rovers the lead in the third quarter as Dale let six corner chances slip them by but eventually got their reward.

Pembroke were 3-1 winners at Cookstown who were stung by the early red card for Stuart Smyth in the first quarter. By that stage, the visitors to Steelweld Park were 1-0 up thanks to Justin Sherriff’s goal.

Alan Sothern and Harry Spain extended the lead out to 3-0 before Mark Crooks’ wonder goal proved a mere consolation effort.