Katherine Welshman grabs late winner to secure McConnell Shield for Queen’s

Queen's 2nd's captain Rachel Clarke with the McConnell Shield
Queen's 2nd's captain Rachel Clarke with the McConnell Shield

Queen’s II 2 Civil Service 1

A dramatic extra time winner from Katherine Welshman helped Queen’s II lift the McConnell Shield after a 2-1 win over Civil Service at Stormont.

Now the students are on course for a Shield-League double as they can deny Pegasus II the Junior One title if they win their two remaining matches.

Queen’s were on top for most of the game but they sometimes lacked composure in the circle and Service looked capable of scoring on the break.

The south Belfast side won the penalty corner count hands down but their routine was far from clinical until Welshman hit the winner.

Queen’s got off to a dream start when they scored after only 45 seconds, Stephanie McBride getting the slightest of touches after Lisa MacDonnell had driven into the circle and shot goalwards.

But Service levelled matters in the 15th minute when Jacqui Thompson netted from a penalty corner switch.

Queen’s dominated most of the second half but Service defended well to force extra time.

With three minutes remaining, Welshman drove in a set piece with a direct shot and there wasn’t enough time for Serice to mount a response.

Queen’s had earlier lifted the Minor Cup after their fourths beat Ards fifths 3-1 after surging into a 2-0 interval lead with goals from Emily Macartney and Kerri Hewitt.

Louise Boyce pulled one back early in the second half but Viki Kennedy made it 3-1 after a cleverly worked penalty corner near the end.

Mossley came from 2-0 down to beat derby rivals Owls 4-2 to complete a Senior Four-Intermediate Cup double.

Karen Brady and Hannah Allen scored in the first 20 minutes to out Owls in the ascendency but Mossley replied before the break through Louise Creighton.

Tori Wallace, Nikki McMillan and Katy Aston hit three more goals without reply after the restart to seal the win.

In the Minor Cup final, extra time couldn’t separate Pegasus III and Ards III but, after a scoreless 70 minutes, the Belfast side prevailed 3-2 on penalties.