McMullan comes away without a victory

Drama at Kirkistown as Newtownards driver Sean Turner  crashed his Crossle into the barriers
Drama at Kirkistown as Newtownards driver Sean Turner crashed his Crossle into the barriers

Kirkistown staged its biggest meeting of the season on Saturday with a total of 13 races and the County Down circuit witnessed close racing in Formula Ford 1600 which on this occasion featured not just rounds of the Northern Ireland series but also the All Ireland series.

Jonny McMullan, who currently heads the National Formula Ford 1600 Championship, was back at his home track and set pole for both races, but came away without a win.

Victory in the first went to Alan Davidson who snatched the lead from the newly crowned Northern Ireland Formula Ford Champion Jake Byrne on the last corner of the last lap; but Byrne took the second to add to his impressive tally of wins at Kirkistown.

Several of the drivers used the two races to prepare for the Ards & North Down Borough Council supported Martin Donnelly Trophy meeting which takes place in early October.

The most successful driver of the day did not come from the Formula Ford ranks; it was John Benson at the wheel of a locally built Crossle who scored three wins, one in Roadsports and he triumphed in both HRCA races.

The big single seaters contesting the BMCG BOSS series made their second appearance of the season and in the first race pole sitter Paul Dagg in his F3 Dallara scored an easy win while in the second with Dagg non starting, he allowed Tim Buckley in the driving seat, Cian Carey won from Darragh Daly both driving Formula Renaults.

There was just a single race for the Rover powered Sheanes and Enda O’ Connor had pole, a red flag was displayed due to an incident in the Colonial area and on the restart it was Kevin Sheane who led from Brian Hearty. O’Connor and Hearty disputed second and this allowed breathing space for Sheane, but soon it was a three car battle for the lead and O’Connor eased past to win from Hearty and Sheane.

Ray Moore had pole for the first Formula Vee race, but it was Des Foley the early pacesetter as Moore was off on lap two, then Foley was passed by Justin Costello and Anthony Cross then second, but Foley came back to snatch the victory by a fraction over a second.

Moore took the lead for race two and Kevin Grogan who had shared the front row went off exiting Colonial One and quickly rejoined. Then Jimmy Furlong passed Moore for the lead, meanwhile Robbie Allen closed in on the pair and into to second to challenge Moore who was back in command.

Saloons on this occasion were represented by the one make Ford Fiestas and as per usual high on entertainment value with Andrew Blair who had set the pace in qualifying winner of race one while Adrian Finnegan took the honours in the second.