MEN’S HOCKEY: Mikey Watt strikes crucial winner for Lisnagarvey

Banbridge's Owen Magee closes in on goal. Picture: Rowland White/Presseye
Banbridge's Owen Magee closes in on goal. Picture: Rowland White/Presseye

Mikey Watt’s 39th minute goal saw Lisnagarvey claim a crucial 1-0 win over Monkstown, building a significant seven-point lead at the top of the table after ten rounds of matches in the men’s EY Hockey League.

Indeed, the top two sides produced a high quality match in which the pace never relented. Paul Gleghorne and Jonny Bell were excellent at the back for Garvey to deny Monkstown’s much vaunted frontline.

The decisive moment came when Watt latched onto a miscued overhead pass out of the Monkstown defence and played a one-two with Timmy Cockram before striking home the only goal. It gives Errol Lutton’s side a large lead in the table going into the closing eight rounds of matches.

Banbridge produced an incredible comeback from 2-0 down to defeat Railway Union – their conquerors in the Irish Senior Cup – 4-2 with Eugene Magee playing a pivotal role. Simon McKeever and James Dick had Railway two up in the first quarter and they led until the third quarter.

But Owen Magee’s effort gave Bann confidence and they romped home with three goals in quick succession in the last 15 minutes with Eugene Magee netting twice, augmenting a penalty stroke won and converted by Stephen Dowds.

Annadale recorded their first win of the campaign with a 3-2 success against Three Rock Rovers at Grange Road with Matthew Allister popping up with a late winner. Matthew Crookshanks had given Dale the lead before James Cox made it 2-2 after Rovers’ goals from Luke Madeley and Ross Canning.

Shannon Boucher’s trio of corner goals in the first 17 minutes saw Glenanne ease to a 6-1 win over Cork C of I. Boucher ended the tie with four goals to his name, bringing his seasonal total to 21.

On Sunday, Pembroke held their nerve to beat Cookstown 3-2 in a hugely important tie. Mark Ingram saved a penalty stroke with six minutes to go to secure the win after Alan Sothern had put them ahead for a third and final time.