Alastair Seeley closes title gap with Thruxton victory

Alastair Seeley leads Josh Elliott at Thruxton
Alastair Seeley leads Josh Elliott at Thruxton

Tyco BMW’s Alastair Seeley produced a sizzling final lap to win the Pirelli National Superstock race at Thruxton as the Carrick rider closed the title deficit to Josh Elliott to 17 points.

Morello Kawasaki rider Elliott led for most of the race and appeared to be on his way to victory at the Hampshire circuit, but Seeley mounted a late challenge after running as low as seventh place and swept through to snatch the win from the Ballinamallard rider on the run into the final chicane on the last lap.

Seeley, who sealed his second win in succession after taking the spoils last time out at Brands, said: “I dropped back to seventh and didn’t hit the panic button and worked my way back through them. I saw that Josh was coming back to me and we were carrying more corner speed then he was.

“A big thank-you to my team because the BMW was really fast. All credit to the boys because we didn’t have the ideal package this weekend, but we made it work in the race.”

Elliott, who threw away valuable points after crashing at Brands, had to settle for the runner-up spot as he finished 0.1 seconds behind at the flag.

“I thought there was two laps to go and I wasn’t really defending on the last lap,” Elliott said.

“Fair play to him, he had good speed on that bike and I’m riding this weekend with a broken humerus, so it was hurting me through the chicanes.”

Alex Olsen completed the podium places in third while Nico Mawhinney from Castledawson was 21st on the Seadrift Kawasaki.

In the British Supersport class, Jordanstown’s Andy Reid clinched a brilliant runner-up finish on the Team Traction Control Yamaha.

Reid, who twice finished third at Brands Hatch, has now moved into fifth place in the championship ahead of team-mate James Rispoli.

The 21-year-old finished fifth in Saturday’s Sprint race but came through from ninth place on the grid on Sunday to clinch a stunning second place behind Luke Stapleford, who won both races.

Gearlink Kawasaki’s Glenn Irwin finished sixth and fourth in the two races, while Portadown’s Marshall Neill was 11th and 14th.

Clogher’s Keith Farmer, back in action for the first time this year after teaming up with the Tsingtao MV Agusta team for the remainder of the season, finished 15th in the Sprint race but lost a few places on Sunday after incurring a five-second penalty for passing under waved yellow flags, dropping him to 18th.

David Allingham finished 23rd and 16th on the Nexio Racing MV Agusta.

In the MCE British Superbike Championship, Josh Brookes doubled up on the Milwaukee Yamaha.

Tyco BMW’s Michael Laverty finished ninth and sixth to move into the all-important Showdown top six positions.