Andy Reid’s maiden Supersport win tempered by race two crash

Andy Reid dramatically crashed out on the final lap at Oulton Park
Andy Reid dramatically crashed out on the final lap at Oulton Park

The joy of Andy Reid’s maiden British Supersport victory at Oulton Park was cruelly tempered by a massive crash in the Feature race at Oulton Park on Sunday.

The Jordanstown rider shattered the lap record in qualifying to take pole position and rode superbly on the Team Traction Control Yamaha to seal his first win in his rookie season in the class.

However, Reid was brought back down to earth with a bump yesterday when he was flung from his machine after squeezing into the lead on the final lap at the last corner, high-siding on the exit with the finish line almost in sight.

It was a disappointing end to the weekend for Reid, who may have suffered a wrist injury as a result.

On Saturday, the Northern Ireland rider dedicated his breakthrough victory to the memory of his father Adrian, who sadly passed away in 2012.

“I actually don’t think words can explain this,” Reid said.

“I had my first ever British championship win at Oulton Park and now this one; this is for my dad, this is for Keith (Flint) and everyone who puts the money, time and effort in.

“It feels so good to get that first win and thanks to everyone who has helped me get here.”

Reflecting on his race strategy, Reid added: “The first few laps it just felt as though it was me and Luke (Stapleford) because I saw there was nothing in it on my board.

“I was trying to brake late and settle into a rhythm but once Luke came past I tried to strike back straight away because I knew that if he gets going he can be hard to catch,” he added.

“Then all of a sudden three people came past me and I realised how tight it was, so I sat there in fifth for a few laps and then I saw I was fast in the last sector and began to make my move. I can’t believe this.”

Reid took the win by 0.146 seconds from Jake Dixon on the Smiths Triumph with series leader Stapleford third (Profile Triumph).

Glenn Irwin crashed out on the opening lap on the Gearlink Kawasaki, while Marshall Neill finished 11th and Keith Farmer 15th.

On Sunday, Reid was locked in battle with Dixon on the final lap when he made his pass on the brakes into the final corner before disaster struck.

“Well, what can I say, two pole positions, I broke the lap record by .8 of a second, I got my debut victory and was 100 yards from taking a second victory and the perfect weekend was just in sight,” said Reid.

“Unfortunately it was just not to be, but we showed what we can do. I’m taking all the positives rather than negatives and we will be back faster and stronger.”

Dixon clinched the win by one second from American James Rispoli with Stapleford again third.

Irwin finished fourth with Farmer an excellent eighth on the Tsingtao MV Agusta and Neill again 11th on the InCompetition Yamaha.