B&I CUP: Ulster ‘A’ defeat Britol at Kingspan Stadium

Ulster's Robert Lyttle in action with Bristol's Craig Hampson.
Ulster's Robert Lyttle in action with Bristol's Craig Hampson.

Ulster ‘A’ 30 Bristol 5

Alex Codling’s Ulster ‘A’ made the prefect start to their British and Irish Cup campaign by toppling English Champions leaders Bristol at the Kingspan Stadium.

Ulster limited the visitors to one try and had to weather an early storm especially in the scrum but gradually got a foothold in the game and 30 unanswered points including three tries.

Sam Windsor landed 15 points with the boot but the turning point of the game was a Clive Ross try just before half time.

Bristol started on the front foot by winning a penalty at the scrum which they kicked to the corner, from the lineout they worked the ball through a number of phases but spilled the ball and conceded a penalty allowing Ulster to clear.

Bristol took the lead on nine minutes again they forced a penalty from the scrum and kicked to the corner, from the lineout they got executed a catch and drive and flanker Max Crumpton powered over touch down but out half Callum Sheedy missed the conversion.

Ulster got points on their first sortie into the Bristol 22, following a series of pick and goes from the forwards Bristol were caught offside and Sam Windsor slotted over a simple penalty.

The home side had prop Bronson Ross yellow carded on 18 minutes after another infringement at the scrum.

Bristol had another series of scrums close to the Ulster line but despite being down to 14 men the home defence we able to repel them.

Ulster took the lead on 26 minutes when Windsor slotted over his second penalty following more good work by the home pack.

Ulster extended the lead in first half stoppage time with a try from Clive Ross.

From a lineout captain Willie Fallon made a break, the ball was recycled and Peter Browne drove deep into the 22, Ruaidhri Murphy took it close to the line before Ross squeezed over from close range and Windsor’s conversion gave Alex Codling’s side a 13-5 half time lead.

Callum Patterson nearly give the home side the prefect start to the second half when he spotted a gap in the visitors defence and darted through it but he had no support.

Windsor increased Ulster’s lead with a penalty after following a strong drive by Stephen Mulholland.

Ulster scored two tries in three minutes.

Patterson went over on 57 minutes, Mark Best made a break down the wing, Browne carried the ball close to the line and Patterson powered over from close range with Windsor converting.

Patterson started the move for the third try when he won a steal in midfield, Ulster moved the ball quickly to the wing and Rodger McBurney drove deep into the 22, Browne and Alan O’Connor made hard yards close to the line and Best went over with Windsor added the conversion.

Bristol had prop James Hall sin binned for trying to kill the ball in the bill up to the try.

The visitors could have been reduced to 13 men when Andy Uren made a high and late tackle on Best but he just received a stern lecture from the Welsh referee.

The home side had a couple of chances to get a bonus point try in the closing stages when they kicked a couple of penalties to the corner but they were able to force another score.

Robert Lyttle mad a good break into the 22 but he was stopped and Bristol were able to clear their lines.