Dundalk surge to first Ulster Bank All Ireland Junior Cup final success.

Captain Jamie Clegg was sin-binned on what was a frustrating day for Bangor
Captain Jamie Clegg was sin-binned on what was a frustrating day for Bangor


Dundalk produced a near perfect performance as they cruised to a first Ulster Bank All Ireland Junior Cup success against Bangor in Portadown on Saturday.

In spite of the strong howling crosswind and squally hail showers, the Leinster club defied the elements to put in a workmanlike performance which the Seasiders had no answer to.

Dundalk scored eight tries – five in the second half when facing the elements – in front of a large crowd, with Bangor getting a last minute consolation score.

The scoreline is tough on the Ulster club, but they failed to turn up on the day, made too many mistakes, missed first time tackles and were under constant pressure from the boot of outhalf Johnny Williams and their impressive outside centre, Christopher Scully.

It was Scully who opened the scoring after just five minutes when ball was secured by the pack and moved quickly, the centre taking a lovely line and scything through the defence. Winger, Ultan Murphy converted for a 7-0 led.

Muprhy missed a penalty and Ricky Armstrong missed an attempt for Bangor before the Dundalk side doubled their lead when Murphy converted winger Owen McNally’s try.

Bangor did put some pressure on, but their lineout was misfiring and they simply made too many mistakes to really give Dundalk anything to worry about.

Ten minutes from the break it was 19-0 when Scully crossed for an unconverted try.

With the wind at their backs, Bangor need a score quickly in the second half, but an early scrum was outmuscled and penalised. Then second row and captain Jamie Clegg was sin-binned.

Dundalk scored two tries - Murphy, John Smyth and Johnny Williams crossing, Murphy converting two and also adding a penalty for a 36-0 lead and Bangor’s head dropped.

Stephen McGee, James McConnon and Stephen Murphy crossed for further tires - two of which were converted by Murphy to close their account.

Bangor dug deep for one last rally and Curits Stewart was held up short. But several phases later they were pressing the line again and this time winger David Charles went over for an unconverted try,