Glasgow get back on track against travel sick Scarlets

Glasgow's Alex Dunbar touched over
Glasgow's Alex Dunbar touched over

Glasgow got themselves back on track after last week’s loss at Edinburgh with a 22-7 triumph that leaves Scarlets still looking for their first away win of the season.

In foul conditions Glasgow made what was ultimately a comfortable win more difficult than necessary by leaking a try to Scarlets full back Liam Williams, converted by Rhys Priestland, in the final minute of the first half to let the visitors go in leading 7-5.

Glasgow had been in charge until then, scoring an excellent touch down through Alex Dunbar, set up by Sean Lamont.

It took only five minutes of the second half for Glasgow to regain the lead with a try from Peter Murchie, converted by Finn Russell who scored his second when DTH Van Der Merwe touched down after 70 minutes.

However yet again Glasgow failed to add the bonus-point fourth try.

Scarlets kicked off with the gale and in early play the wind was a big problem for the place kickers.

The first penalty chance fell to Glasgow’s Russell but into the wind his attempt faded away before Priestland missed for the visitors after 13 minutes.

The same player had an easier chance two minutes later but he missed again as Glasgow took control.

And, after 28 minutes, carries by Tim Swinson and Jonny Gray made territory before the ball was moved left where it took two Scarlets defenders to deal with winger Lamont, who unloaded outside to centre Dunbar to score.

The try was converted and against the run of play, with two minutes of the half remaining, the visitors struck back.

WIlliams scored a brilliant individual effort after intercepting a Nikola Matawalu pass and with the conversion, the Welsh side went into the break with the lead.

Scarlets however would not add to their total in the second half.

A great drive by Josh Strauss ended with lock Leone Nakarawa sending full back Murchie in at the corner for the try and Russell kicked the conversion.

Glasgow were on the front foot until around the 60th minute when Scarlets put in a massive burst of phases in the home 22 but finally lost possession and after 66 minutes the penalty from Russell from outside the Scarlets 10 metres line put Glasgow two scores ahead.

With their tails now up Glasgow scored their third try in 70 minutes with replacement wing Van Der Merwe touching down by the posts off a reverse pass from Matawalu before Russell converted.