Hall grabs try hat-trick as Queen’s storm past Dungannon

Queen's Connor McKee goes for the line
Queen's Connor McKee goes for the line

Queen’s got their promotion challenge back on track with a bonus point win over Ulster rivals Dungannon in the Friday Night Under the Lights game at the Dub.

The students made light work of missing five players to the Irish U20’s by outscoring the visitors by four tries to two.

The defeat for Nigel Brady’s side leaves them rooted to the bottom of the table.

Dungannon started strongly but out half Jack Milligan was off target with a second minute penalty.

Gannon took the lead on four minutes, they kicked a penalty to the corner, from the lineout they set up a rolling maul and prop Steven Sinnamon crashed over and Milligan converted.

Queen’s got their first points from a 10th minute penalty by full back Justin Rea.

Queen’s took the lead on 16 minutes with a try from winger Damon Hall.

From a scrum on the 22 the forwards worked the ball through the phases before they spun it wide, Hall used his strength to hold off three defends and stretch out to touch down but Rea struck the upright with the conversion.

Queen’s got their second try on 23 minutes and it was a carbon copy of the first, the forwards again did the hard work with Scott Finlay and Josh Atkinson carrying well before the ball went to Hall and he again took advantage of some poor tacking to go over and Rea converted.

Milligan missed his second penalty after Queen’s were caught offside.

Hall completed his hat-trick on 30 minutes following a mistake in the visitors defence. Rea converted.

Rea and Hall had chances to secure the bonus before the fourth try came on 46 minutes.

The forwards rumbled close to the line before No8 Ryan Clarke popped the ball to prop Mark Foster to touch down and Rea converted.

Rea added penalty for the students on 54 minutes after a late tackle on Hall.

Gannon got their second try on 62 minutes, Queen’s had prop Johnny Craig sin binned, from the resulting scrum No8 controlled the ball and touched down with Milligan converting.

Queen’s wrapped the game up with a try in injury time when wing Eoin Devlin fielded a cross kick from Ali Wright to score and Rea converted.