Queen’s keep promotion hopes alive after toppling Bective at the Dub

Queen's Stuart Hooks in action with Bective's Niall Brew
Queen's Stuart Hooks in action with Bective's Niall Brew


Queen’s kept their promotion hopes alive with a bonus point victory over Bective at the Dub to move third in the Division 2A table.

The students were hampered by injuries and representative call ups but were able to outscore the struggling Dubliners by six tries to one.

Queen’s opened the scoring with their first try on three minutes, centre Stuart McIlwaine made a break in midfield, the ball was quickly recycled and Ali Wright and Marc Campbell combined to put winger Eoin Devlin over in the corner with full back Justin Rea adding the conversion.

Bective had prop Emmett Ferron sin binned for a high tackle but Rea was off-target with the resulting penalty.

Queen’s did make their numerical advantage count with a try on 15 minutes.

Following good work on the wing from Damon Hall and Connor Shiels the ball was moved inside for prop Luke Steele to barge his way through a gap and go over from the 22 and Rea converted.

Geariod O’Grady scored a penalty for the visitors before the students added a third try on 28 minutes.

From turnover ball in their own half McIlwaine put in a probing kick, Hall showed searing pace to beat three defenders to the ball and hack on and he won the race to touch down. However, Rea couldn’t convert to leave the students 19-3 up at the break.

Queen’s had flanker Stuart Hooks yellow carded but the visitors were unable to score.

O’Grady got Bective back in the game with two penalties in quick succession after the break.

And Queen’s got their bonus point try on 55 minutes.

Scrum half John Russell put up a box kick, Bective seemed to deal with it but Peter Storey ripped the ball out of Corry McCarthy’s hands to race away and score unopposed.

As Bective chased the game they gifted Queen’s two tries in four minutes.

Wright intercepted a poor pass on half way to race under the posts and Rea converted.

Hall scored the sixth try when Bective kicked across their 22, winger Mark Joyce caught the ball and then tried a reverse flick pass behind his back but the Queen’s winger was able to read it and jog over with Rea adding the conversion.

Bective had the last word with a consolation try in final minute when full back Rob O’Beirne squeezed over in the corner and O’Grady converted from a tight angle.