SENIOR CUP RUGBY: Belfast Harlequins take bragging rights over Malone

Action from Belfast Harlequins v Malone
Action from Belfast Harlequins v Malone

Malone 28 Belfast Harlequins 33

Andrew McPhillips’ try seven minutes into injury time gave Belfast Harlequins victory against their cross-City rivals Malone at Gibson Park in a First Trust Ulster Senior Cup quarter final thriller.

They go into Monday’s semi-final draw with Ballynahnch, Ballymena and Queen’s University.

At Deramore, Harlequins took the lead after three minutes, they were awarded a free kick from a scrum Ben Alexander took a quick tap and fed centre Ben Sloan on the angle and he side stepped the last defender to score and he converted his own try.

Sloan increased Quins lead with a penalty from in front of the posts on 10 minutes.

Sloan added another penalty on 25 minutes after the home side were caught offside in front of their own posts.

Malone got back in the game on 34 minutes with a try from captain Neil Alcorn.

The forwards worked the ball through a number of phases before it was moved through the hands to the wing for the No8 to go over but O’Connor couldn’t convert.

Malone reduced Quins lead to 13-10 at the interval with a try with the final play of the first half, again the forwards made the hard yards before the ball was moved wide for centre Adam Liddell to touch down in the corner.

Malone took the lead on 54 minutes with their third try.

Andy Bryans broke out of defence and carried deep into Quins territory, he fed Shane Kelly who popped the ball to Ricky McCullagh and he had the power to hold off the last defender to score but Rory Campbell couldn’t convert.

Malone had their fourth try two minutes later when Liddell to a great line and caught the Quins defence flat footed to go under the posts and Campbell converted.

Campbell increased the home side’s lead with a long range penalty on 66 minutes.

Quins replacement landed a penalty on 69 minutes.

The Deramore side got their second try from a lineout turnover and the moved the ball across the pitch for McPhillips to score but White couldn’t convert.

Quins regained the lead four minutes from time when flanker Darryl Marshall was driven over from a maul.

Campbell landed a long range penalty before Quins won it with McPhillips try which started with a lineout turnover on their own five metre line.

Malone: A Bryans, J Martin, A Liddell, J Murphy, R Campbell, M O’Connor, J McMurty; L Barlow, T King, P Eadie, P Ireland, R Millar, S Adams, M Porter, N Alcorn

Replacements: A Blackburn, B Halliday, S Kelly, R McCullagh

Belfast Harlequins: B Monaghan, A McPhillips, B Sloan M Kettyle, P Dunlop, T Emerson, M Rainey; O McCollum, S Weir, C Sargiasson, N McComb, D McKelvey, C Marica, D Marshall, B Alexander

Replacements: M Foster, J Andress, O Loughhead, C Young A White


Ballynahinch 33, City Of Derry 29

Ballymena 30, Banbridge 7

Malone 28, Belfast Harlequins 33

Rainey OB 24, Queen’s 25