SENIOR CUP RUGBY: Belfast Harlequins through to quarter-finals after win over Dungannon

Belfast Harlequins defeated Dunganon in the first round of the Ulster Senior Cup
Belfast Harlequins defeated Dunganon in the first round of the Ulster Senior Cup


Belfast Harlequins set up a Senior Cup quarter final with cross city rivals Malone by beating Dungannon in the first round in the Deramore sunshine.

Quins were strengthen by having Jacob Stockdale and Frank Taggart in their starting line up as well as former Ulster lock Neil McComb.

The Belfast side got the prefect start when winger David McMaster went over in the left corner after five minutes.

Dungannon got their first points with a Paul Armstrong penalty three minutes later.

Centre Adam White restored Quins five point advantage with a penalty from in front of the posts following good work from half backs Matthew Rainey and Tim Emerson.

Stockdale brought the game to life with a superb solo try on 30 minutes.

The outside centre got the ball just inside the Gannon half and sprinted clear before a big hand off on the last defender to go under the posts and White converted.

The home side got their third try two minutes later when lock Callum Lecky was propelled over from close range for an unconverted try to give Quins a 20-3 lead at the interval.

Dungannon started the second half brightly and scored two minutes after the restart.

They kicked a penalty to touch and from the resulting catch and drive prop Steve Sinnamon rumbled over for unconverted try.

Gannon had No8 James McMahon sin binned three minutes later but Quins could take advantage.

Full back Mark Glover got the home side’s fourth try on 57 minutes when he cut open the Gannon defence with a jinking run to go under the posts and White added the simple conversion.

Quins had prop Mark McGrath sin binned for pulling down a maul on the try line.

The Tyrone men opted for a scrum and which was illegally stopped and when a second set piece wheeled the referee awarded the visitors at penalty try which Armstrong converted.

Gannon reduced the Quin’s lead with their third try when following a sweeping move from the backs James McMahon when over from close range.

Mark Best’s long range penalty and a second Lecky try sealed it for Quins.