Wallace end Methody’s Schools’ Cup reign with semi-final victory at Kingspan

Wallace are currently in action at Ravenhill.
Wallace are currently in action at Ravenhill.

Methody CB 10 Wallace HS 12

Wallace High School ended Methodist College’s Schools’ Cup reign with a dramatic semi-final victory at the Kingspan Stadium.

Winger Ben Finlay won it for the Lisburn School with the only score of the second half to set up a repeat of the 2003 and 2007 finals against RBAI.

It gives Wallace a chance to lift the trophy for the first time having lost on their three previous appearances in the final.

Wallace had an early chance to take the lead but centre Andrew Cardosi pushed a long range penalty wide.

Wallace did take the lead on 10 minutes when out-half Neil Kirkpatrick made a sniping break from his own half to open up the Methody defence, he offloaded to full-back Philip Hylands, he had a winger outside him but cut back on the angle to touch down under the post and Cardosi converted.

Methody got back in the game on 18 minutes with a try from captain Saul Herdman.

The Belfast school won a penalty at kicked to the corner from the lineout the first drive was stopped short but Herdman picked up and barged over from close range but full back Robert Lyttle was wide with the conversion.

Methody took the lead on 26 minutes with a try from winger Conor Kelly.

It started in their own half with a powerful driving maul that went 30 metres before scrum-half Johnny Jordan broke of the back, he carried the ball into the Wallace 22 before throwing a skip pass to Kelly who held off a tackle from Hylands to touch down in the corner but Lyttle missed the conversion.

Methody thought they had a third try went Lyttle make a great solo break and touched down in the corner but he was adjudged to have a foot in touch before grounding the ball.

Wallace regained the lead with three minutes to go following their first sustained period of pressure in Methody territory in the second half.

Replacement Gary Chan make the initial carrying the ball deep into the 22 the ball was quickly moved through the hands and Finlay showed great pace and strength to hold off a challenge from Lyttle to ground the ball in the corner, Cardosi couldn’t add the conversion.

Methody had a chance to win it with the last kick of the game when they were awarded a penalty but Lyttle’s kick from just inside the 10 metre line and close to the touch line was wide.

Methodist College: R Lyttle, J Jordan, L Loane, A McIvor, C Kelly, G Millar, J Jordan, B O’Reilly, S Herdman, A McAllister, R Cullen, S McClelland, M McKinney, D Coulter, Z Jordan.

Replacements: O Cairns, A Kilpatrick, C Gourley, C Kelly, J Kennedy, D Gray, P Kerr, L Trainor.

Wallace HS: P Hylands, C Guiney, A Cardosi, R Wilson, B Finlay, N Kilpatrick, J Stewart, J Blair, B Pentland, A Weir, P Ferguson, G Dillon, S Moore, A Irvine, M Trouton,

Replacements: Mi Smyth, G Malley, N Woods, G Chan, T Baird, A Black, I Nzewi, A Heaps