Beware of carbon monoxide poisoning

The Public Health Agency is urging holidaymakers to be aware of the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning in enclosed spaces. Carbon monoxide is a colourless, tasteless and odourless gas that is non-irritating and as a result can be very hard to detect.

By The Newsroom
Thursday, 23rd July 2020, 8:00 am

It is usually associated with domestic fossil fuel-burning appliances when used in confined spaces such as caravans and tents.

Hilary Johnston, PHA, said: “Carbon monoxide can build up very quickly in enclosed spaces to levels that could prove fatal. Faulty gas cookers, appliances or petrol-powered generators have led to carbon monoxide poisoning. Carbon monoxide has also been linked to deaths where people have brought gas and charcoal barbecues into tents and other small enclosed spaces, sometimes in an attempt to keep warm.”

Symptoms of poisoning include headaches, dizziness, breathlessness, nausea and vomiting, exhaustion, drowsiness, light-headedness, collapse and loss of consciousness. If you suspect you have been poisoned you should immediately go ouotside into fresh air and seek urgent medical attention.

Reduce your risk by installing an audible carbon monoxide alarm and never use a fuel-burning appliance to heat your caravan, holiday home or boat; never take a barbecue inside; never run a gas, petrol or diesel-powered generator inside; don’t cook inside your tent or awning; don’t use any other gas, charcoal, liquid or solid fuel appliances inside a tent or awning and always have gas appliances in your caravan or boat serviced regularly.