The incident was confirmed by Northern Ireland's Drug and Alcohol Monitoring and Information System (DAMIS) who have subsequently issued a warning to parents and children.
"DAMIS has received information from the Royal Victoria Hospital following the assessment of a nine year-old at the Children’s Emergency Department, who had detectable levels of cannabis in their system.
"The clinician who assessed the child explained that the child had consumed a THC medicated sweet (‘Nerds rope’) after finding what they believed to be sweets on the ground.
"While on closer inspection the sweet packet is labelled as containing THC, the main psychoactive ingredients in cannabis, to all other purposes they look like a common brand of sweets which are marketed for children.
"As children often have a smaller body mass than adults the effects may be more profound and can include: loss of coordination; hallucinations; nausea/vomiting and lethargy, collapse or loss of consciousness," added DAMIS.
A message from the Editor:
Thank you for reading this story on our website. While I have your attention, I also have an important request to make of you.
With the coronavirus lockdown having a major impact on many of our advertisers — and consequently the revenue we receive — we are more reliant than ever on you taking out a digital subscription.
Subscribe to newsletter.co.uk and enjoy unlimited access to the best Northern Ireland and UK news and information online and on our app. With a digital subscription, you can read more than 5 articles, see fewer ads, enjoy faster load times, and get access to exclusive newsletters and content. Visit https://www.newsletter.co.uk/subscriptions now to sign up.
Our journalism costs money and we rely on advertising, print and digital revenues to help to support them. By supporting us, we are able to support you in providing trusted, fact-checked content for this website.