Ex RUC slam ‘sneaky’ Lambeth Palace talks on legacy, as do victims of terrorism
The was widespread anger yesterday when it emerged that a ‘legacy forum’ had been meeting at the Archbishop of Canterbury’s Lambeth Palace in the absence of any IRA victims, unionist elected representatives or military veterans.
No one openly opposed to the controversial legacy mechanisms within the Stormont House Agreement is thought to have been invited to participate.
Aileen Quinton, whose mother Alberta was murdered in the 1987 Enniskillen bomb, questioned the wisdom of Archbishop Justin Welby in allowing Lambeth Palace to host the talks – fearing he may have been “used”.
In a social media message, Ms Quinton said the top clergyman would have be “heartless” if he had knowingly facilitated talks that involved people with paramilitary links while excluding the victims of terrorism.
Ernie Waterworth, a member of the NI Retired Police Officers’ Association speaking in a personal capacity said he was “appalled by the revelation that ‘secret’ talks have been ongoing”.
“I consider the exclusion of the most important representatives to these discussions – the innocent victims and survivors who have been so brutally injured and traumatised – totally reprehensible.
“Despite many attempting to justify this process I believe it demonstrates an extremely sneaky and underhand action on the part of the NIO and southern government.”
Kenny Donaldson of Innocent Victims United said the Stormont House legacy proposals were clearly rejected during the consultation process, and that any attempt at putting a fresh spin on them will be “taking people for fools.”
TUV leader Jim Allister said it appeared the Lambeth Palace forum is “interested only in the victim-makers,” and added: “The reality is that a Stormont and ‘peace process’ that is built on the rewarding of terrorism is never going to deliver justice to those most deserving of it.
Late last night police said: “PSNI received an invite and were represented at a ‘roundtable seminar’ organised by the Archbishop of Canterbury on November 2.”
A spokesman for the Archbishop declined to comment.
A message from the Editor:
Thank you for reading this story on our website. While I have your attention, I also have an important request to make of you.
With the coronavirus lockdown having a major impact on many of our advertisers — and consequently the revenue we receive — we are more reliant than ever on you taking out a digital subscription.
Subscribe to newsletter.co.uk and enjoy unlimited access to the best Northern Ireland and UK news and information online and on our app. With a digital subscription, you can read more than 5 articles, see fewer ads, enjoy faster load times, and get access to exclusive newsletters and content. Visit https://www.newsletter.co.uk/subscriptions now to sign up.
Our journalism costs money and we rely on advertising, print and digital revenues to help to support them. By supporting us, we are able to support you in providing trusted, fact-checked content for this website.