‘No access’ warning as Portmuck harbour repairs start
Improvement work at Portmuck harbour and pier in Islandmagee is to commence this coming Monday (May 17).
It is part of an £0.25m repair and maintenance scheme at the popular beauty spot announced last July by Mid and East Antrim Borough Council.
In a statement, council advised: “There will be no access to the pier while the works are ongoing. There is still access at Drains Bay (Ballygally) and Brown’s Bay (Islandmagee).”
The project is expected to be completed by mid-summer.
Last year councillors were told the most sustainable solution for the tourism attraction was to re-instate dislodged blocks and insert new ones, which will prevent a reoccurrence of the problem and render it safe and usable again.
They were assured the scheme, which required a Marine Licence, would ensure the long-term sustainability of the site.
Speaking at the time, the Mayor, Councillor Peter Johnston, said: “The investment is fantastic for the local community and I am sure it will allow for future exciting projects that will put Islandmagee on the map and make it an even more enjoyable place to live, work and visit.”
The existing Portmuck harbour structure was constructed in 1829, fell into disrepair and was reconstructed in 1929. In 1989 remedial works were completed by the former Larne Borough Council, which included a reinforced concrete deck and car park. New toilets were provided by council in 2008 and a carpark extension in 2012 which was funded through rural development.
Click here to read: Larne RNLI puts out Mayday call ahead of busy summer period
Thank you for reading this article. We’re more reliant on your support than ever as the shift in consumer habits brought about by coronavirus impacts our advertisers. Please consider purchasing a copy of the paper. You can also support trusted, fact-checked journalism by taking out a digital subscription of the News Letter.