The Duke and Duchess of Sussex have confirmed they will not be returning as working members of the royal family, Buckingham Palace has announced.
Harry and Meghan both quit their roles as senior working royals in March last year to earn their own money in the US.
The couple have since signed deals with Spotify and Netflix which are estimated to be worth more than £100 million.
Apprentice Boys of Derry: new era of respect makes for enjoyable ‘Relief’ parade
Feile organisers asked if they have warned Wolfe Tones about leading young people in pro-IRA chants
Thousands expected to take part in 'Derry Day' this weekend
DUP MP calls for probe into Sinn Fein MP’s Twitter post
Brexit: There’s a fundamental con trick being played over Liz Truss’ Northern Ireland Protocol Bill says Lord Empey
What does the decision mean?
The decision to step down as working royals will mean that the couple will not be able to hold on to their military, Commonwealth and some other patronages.
In a statement, Buckingham Palace said: “The Duke and Duchess of Sussex have confirmed to Her Majesty The Queen that they will not be returning as working members of the Royal Family.
“Following conversations with the Duke, the Queen has written confirming that in stepping away from the work of the Royal Family it is not possible to continue with the responsibilities and duties that come with a life of public service.
“The honorary military appointments and Royal patronages held by the Duke and Duchess will therefore be returned to Her Majesty, before being redistributed among working members of The Royal Family.
“While all are saddened by their decision, The Duke and Duchess remain much loved members of the family.
Interview with Oprah
The Sussexes, who announced they are expecting their second child earlier this week, are poised for an “intimate” interview about their lives with chat show queen Oprah Winfrey.
Oprah With Meghan And Harry: A CBS Primetime Special has been described by the network as an ‘intimate conversation’ and there has already much speculation over the contents of the interview.
Prince Harry and Meghan have often made it clear that they wish to live a private life, out of the public eye.
However, in recent weeks the couple has made headlines in the UK and US, firstly due to Meghan’s successful suing of the Mail on Sunday over her privacy rights and secondly with the announcement that they are expecting their second child.
CBS has indicated that Meghan and Oprah will have a personal interview, after which Harry will join to discuss more about their life, decisions to step back from Royal duties and living in the States.
The announcement of the interview said Meghan will be asked about “stepping into life as a royal, marriage, motherhood” and “how she is handling life under intense public pressure”.
The pair will also discuss their philanthropic ventures, which they have been keen to continue championing despite stepping down from their roles as royals.
Viewers may also get to hear more about their son Archie, as well as Meghan’s pregnancy with their second child.