Man taken to hospital after being rescued from 'deliberate' flat blaze

A man has been taken to hospital after being rescued from a fire in a second floor flat in Cookstown town centre.

By Stanley Campbell
Monday, 1st February 2021, 11:48 am
Updated Monday, 1st February 2021, 2:58 pm

The blaze at Oldtown Street was reported around eight o'clock this morning.

A spokesperson for the NI Fire and Rescue Service said the flat was well alight when Firefighters arrived.

"Using a ladder they rescued a man in his 30’s from a front window. He was taken to hospital by Ambulance.

Emergency services at the scene.

"The cause of the fire is believed to be deliberate and PSNI are investigating. The incident was dealt with at 8.27am."

Two appliances from Cookstown and two from Dungannon attended the incident.

Local Councillor Trevor Wilson praised the emergency services for their prompt response and rescue. "I hope the person makes a full and speedy recovery," he said.

Mid Ulster MLA Keith Buchanan also commended the emergency services.

“I commend the NIFRS who responded quickly to the incident and my thoughts are with the person who was injured and I wish him a speedy recovery,” he said.

---Thank you for reading this article. We're more reliant on your support than ever as the shift in consumer habits brought about by Coronavirus impacts our advertisers.

Please consider purchasing a copy of the paper. You can also support trusted, fact-checked journalism by taking out a digital subscription of the News Letter.