The long-running festival, which attracts visitors from all over the world, had been due to celebrate its 25th anniversary this September. However, the plans for this year’s event have now been shelved.
In an announcement on the festival’s official Facebook page, the organisers said they hope the award-winning event will return next year.
“It is with regret that we announce that the Hillsborough International Oyster Festival will not be taking place this year. 2017 would have marked the 25th anniversary of the festival, however due to rising costs and changes in funding agreements the committee has had to take the difficult decision to cancel this year’s event,” the statement said.
“Over the years the festival has raised in excess of £600,000 for local charities and we fully appreciate all of the support that the festival has received during this time.
Linfield v Portadown Sunday clash: Breakers of the Sabbath will answer to God
NI Weather: 45 pictures of how we enjoyed wall-to-wall sunshine
Thousands expected to take part in 'Derry Day' this weekend
Esmond Birnie: The protocol is not as claimed boosting growth in Northern Ireland
Crawfordsburn Country Park: Five PSNI officers injured bringing crowd of 600 under control - two teens arrested - parents asked to know where their children are
“We aim to be back in September 2018, subject to sufficient funding and support which is crucial to help deliver this large scale event, and to enable us to celebrate our 25th anniversary in true Hillsborough International Oyster Festival style,” the organisers added.