Man (70s) found dead in NI property after house blaze - woman (80s) treated for smoke inhalation
The thoughts of the NI Fire and Rescue Service are today said to be with the “family and friends of a man who died following a fire in a house on Forkhill Road, Cloughoge, Newry”.
A statement from the Northern Ireland Fire & Rescue Service said the incident happened on April 30 at 4.54pm.
The statement adds that one fire appliance from Newry Fire Station and one from Newtownhamilton Fire Station attended the incident.
“The fire was well-developed when crews arrive,” it added.
“Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus and using jets entered the property to extinguish the fire.
“Tragically, a male casualty was discovered in the property and was pronounced dead at the scene.
“A female casualty was treated for smoke inhalation and taken to hospital”.
The statement adds that the fire was under control by 7.11pm, and the cause is believed to have been accidental ignition”.
Police said they confirmed the death of a man in his 70s following a fire at a house on the Forkhill Road, Cloghoge, Newry, shortly before 5pm on Friday, April 30.
The statement added that officers attended along with colleagues from the Northern Ireland Ambulance Service and the Northern Ireland Fire & Rescue Service who extinguished the blaze.
‘Sadly, the man was pronounced dead at the scene,’ added the statement.
‘A woman aged in her 80s was taken to hospital for treatment for smoke inhalation.
‘Enquiries are ongoing into the fire which is not believed to be suspicious at this stage’.