Antrim and Newtownabbey Council considers its ‘winter garden’ options

Antrim and Newtownabbey Borough Council will be “severely restricted” by expenditure on events for the public until 2022, it has been claimed.

By The Newsroom
Monday, 15th June 2020, 4:33 pm
Antrim Castle Gardens. Pic by Google.
Antrim Castle Gardens. Pic by Google.

At a meeting of the council’s Community Planning Committee last week, Antrim Ulster Unionist Councillor Jim Montgomery was commenting on the local authority’s plan to hold the annual Power NI Enchanted Garden event at Antrim Castle Gardens in the run-up to Christmas.

A budget of £46,000 which includes additional sponsorship has been earmarked to hold the festive event in December. There has also been a “significant investment in new lighting”.

Last year, 84,036 visitors attended the event, an increase of 23,304 from 60,732 visitors in 2018. More than 64,000 visitors came from outside Antrim and Newtownabbey.

Cllr Montgomery said: “With the situation we are facing, I think for this year, next year and possibly the year after that, we will be facing severe restrictions on what we will be able to spend on events.”

The borough council says that unless measures are put in place soon  to “mitigate the deficit situation and to make up for the potential loss in rate income in 2020/21”,  it is anticipated that there will be a “substantial rate increase” next year.

The estimated cash deficit for Antrim and Newtownabbey at the end of April 2020 as a result of the Covid-19 pandemic is expected to be in the region of £1.1m.

Eighty per cent of the council’s income comes from rates and earned income from facilities such as leisure centres accounts for 18 per cent.

Cllr Montgomery was commenting on an approach to the council by an Enchanted Garden contractor who is apparently interested in the sole running of the event.

The councillor suggested it was a “good option to consider” for an event which has been “successful year after year”.

“Something is better than nothing taking place,” he added. “Hopefully after consideration, all parties will support the idea.”

DUP Councillor Stephen Ross said that council needs to take a “serious look” at the proposal, noting that the Power NI Enchanted Garden event would be required to take place over a longer period of time due to the likelihood of social distancing.

Alliance Councillor Billy Webb stated: “This is a departure from contract in relation to this event. If it is coming back for consideration, I would ask if it needs to go out to tender. There may be others out there who may be interested in putting on an event.”

SDLP Councillor Ryan Wilson said the local authority needs to “weigh up the risks to the council’s reputation”.

“We have been delivering one of the best winter gardens in the country and each year, it has been improving.”

He urged the council to “take its time and give a lot of thought to this proposal”.

Antrim DUP Councillor Dunlop asked if there was apathy over large gathering events at this time.

“There are serious decision to be made. The proposal is that it goes back to each group for discussions and comes back in July.”

Michelle Weir, Local Democracy Reporter

--

A message from the Editor:

Thank you for reading this story on our website. While I have your attention, I also have an important request to make of you.

In order for us to continue to provide high quality and trusted local news on this free-to-read site, I am asking you to also please purchase a copy of our newspaper whenever you are able to do so.

Our journalists are highly trained and our content is independently regulated by IPSO to some of the most rigorous standards in the world. But being your eyes and ears comes at a price. So we need your support more than ever to buy our newspapers during this crisis.

With the coronavirus lockdown having a major impact on many of our local valued advertisers - and consequently the advertising that we receive - we are more reliant than ever on you helping us to provide you with news and information by buying a copy of our newspaper when you can safely.

You can also enjoy unlimited access to the best news from across Northern Ireland and the UK by subscribing to newsletter.co.uk

With a digital subscription, you can read more than five articles, see fewer ads, enjoy faster load times, and get access to exclusive newsletters and content. Visit https://www.newsletter.co.uk/subscriptions now to sign up.