Public praised after hit and run arrest

A 20-year-old man has been charged in relation to a hit and run accident involving a 16-month-old toddler in Banbridge on March 13.

By The Newsroom
Tuesday, 5th April 2016, 12:59 pm
Updated Tuesday, 5th April 2016, 1:01 pm
Thomas Smylie.
Thomas Smylie.

The man is to appear at Banbridge Magistrates Court on April 28 and police say they would like to thank the public for contacting them and providing them with information in relation to the accident.

They had asked for the 
public’s help in relation to identifying a vehicle and earlier this week, the police said, a man was arrested and charged with a 
number of motoring offences.

The child’s father Paul Smylie said he welcomed the arrest. He said his son Thomas was still suffering from the accident with badly bruised legs and suspected torn ligaments but is recovering well and is back on his feet again.

Speaking at the time Paul said Thomas was run over twice as he enjoyed a day out feeding the ducks 
with his dad and 15-year-old sister at Corbet Lough.

As the family made their way from Corbet Lough to the park, Thomas, who was still on reins, was struck by a car.