IRISH LEAGUE: Ards leave Glentoran shell-shocked after deserved win


Ards claimed a 2-0 win over shell-shocked Glentoran in Bangor, as the newly promoted club moved into second place.

If the Glentoran board hoped that the temporary appointment of Irish League legend Roy Coyle would give the east Belfast side a fresh hit of passion and enthusiasm, there was little sign of it in the first half at the Bangor Fuels Arena.

Ards lead 1-0 at the break, and if anything, the Red & Blues could have scored many more. The Glens offered nothing in attack with former goalkeeper Aaron Hogg rarely called into action.

Ards had the Glens on the back foot from as earlier as the third minute when Frenchman Guillaume Keke used his strength and pace to turn the central pairing of Jay Magee and Callum Birney. The former Larne forward curled a shot towards goal, only for a deflection to take it just past Elliot Morris’ far post.

It was no surprise when Niall Currie’s men grabbed the lead in the seventh minute. Ards midfielder Kyle Cherry send a simple corner-kick towards the back post, that Johnny Taylor headed past Morris from around eight yards.

The rest of the first half was largely forgettable with Glentoran seldom threatening the Ards goal. Chris Lavery had a chance in the 40th minute, but the former Lurgan Celtic man scuffed his low shot, allowing Hogg to gather the ball at the second attempt.

Glentoran weren’t a whole heap better in the second half. Spanish forward Nacho Novo forced Aaron Hogg into a smart save nine minutes into the second half, while three minutes later, Irish midfielder unleashed a fantastic dipping effort that scrapped just past the post from 25-yards.

But Glentoran’s hold on the game didn’t last for long. Ards grabbed their second goal of the game in the 66th minute. Right-back Greg Hall popped the ball into the feet of McKinney, and his close-range shot was saved by Morris. Unfortunately for the Glens, Ross Arthurs was on hand to poke the ball into the net from six-yards, less than 60 seconds after leaving the substitute’s bench.

Star midfielder Kyle Cherry almost made it 3-0 in the 70th minute. He ran through on goal before forcing Morris into a smart save.

Livewire McKinney had two more chances to add to the score, forcing Morris into saves in both the 73rd and the 89th minute.

At the other end Glentoran offered little. In injury time Nacho Novo forced Hogg into another save, with the former Glens goalkeeper completing an impressive clean sheet.

This was another terrible display from Glentoran, but take nothing away from Ards, who continued their excellent run of form.

Ards: Hogg: Hall, Taylor, Friars, Ruddy; McCullough, Cherry; McComb, McKinney, McMillen (Rea 71); Keke (Athurs 65)

Subs Not Used: McAuley, Hughes, McMullan

Glentoran: Morris; Gordon, Magee, Birney,edman; Leu (Addis 66), Caldwell, Harmon, Foley, Lavery; Novo

Subs Not Used: D. Nelson, Cafolla, Delaney, McAuley

Ref: Andrew Davey (Bangor)