Coleraine unable to capitalise on Linfield slip

Coleraine were unable to take advantage of league leaders Linfield’s defeat as they were held to a 1-1 draw by Glenavon at Mourneview Park.

By Sports Desk
Tuesday, 23rd March 2021, 10:21 pm
Updated Tuesday, 23rd March 2021, 10:24 pm

After a goalless first-half, Gary Hamilton’s side took the lead through Matthew Fitzpatrick, who was in the right place to slot home Peter Campbell’s pass across goal.

The visitors responded when Stephen Lowry’s 25-yard effort was deflected over Glenavon keeper Craig Hyland but they weren’t able to find a winner, which leaves them seven points behind Linfield with two games in hand.

It was an evening to savour for Dean Shiels as he picked up his first victory as Dungannon Swifts boss after goals from Callum Byers and Rory Patterson helped them to a 2-1 triumph over Crusaders.

Coleraine’s Stephen Lowry celebrates his goal at Glenavon

Byers didn’t appear to know too much about his effort as the ball struck him before rolling past Jonny Tuffey but Patterson’s thunderous free-kick was emphatic and put Swifts in the driving seat.

There was no shortage of drama as Jamie McGonigle pulled one back for Crues and they also had a late goal disallowed, but Shiels’ men hung on to secure a first league victory since February 2nd.

Glentoran rallied from a goal down to beat Warrenpoint Town 2-1 and leapfrogged Larne into third position in the process.

Warrenpoint took the lead through Adam Carroll early in the second-half but that sparked Glentoran into action and a matter of minutes later they were level thanks to Conor McMenamin.

Jay Donnelly then rose highest to nod home a Marcus Kane cross – his 14th league goal of the season – to bag all three points.

The majority of the action came at the Loughshore Hotel Arena where Carrick Rangers recovered from a two-goal deficit to beat Portadown 5-3 in an eight-goal thriller.

Ben Guy and Lee Bonis put the visitors into an early lead but Carrick got back into the game as Daniel Kelly fired in from close range before Cathair Friel evened affairs.

A Caolan Loughran penalty – the fifth goal in 32 minutes - completed Carrick’s turnaround and they inflicted further pain as Friel grabbed his second and Kyle Cherry curled in a resounding fifth.



A message from the Editor:

Thank you for reading this story on our website. While I have your attention, I also have an important request to make of you.

With the coronavirus lockdown having a major impact on many of our advertisers - and consequently the revenue we receive - we are more reliant than ever on you taking out a digital subscription.

Subscribe to and enjoy unlimited access to the best Northern Irish and UK news and information online and on our app. With a digital subscription, you can read more than five articles, see fewer ads, enjoy faster load times, and get access to exclusive newsletters and content. Visit now to sign up.

Our journalism costs money and we rely on advertising, print and digital revenues to help to support them. By supporting us, we are able to support you in providing trusted, fact-checked content for this website.

Thank you,

Alistair Bushe