Crusaders thrash hapless Glenavon at Seaview

Crusaders ruthlessly dispatched Glenavon 6-1 at Seaview after an early setback.

Friday, 16th April 2021, 10:03 pm
Updated Friday, 16th April 2021, 10:05 pm

Glenavon shocked the home side when Matthew Fitzpatrick fired a powerful shot past Sean O’Neill.

However, the Crues were soon back on level terms when Gary Thompson slid Philip Lowry through, who slotted past Craig Hyland on 16 minutes.

Crusaders then took the lead when Paul Heatley made no mistake, timing his run to perfection to latch onto a through ball from Jordan Forsythe before rounding Hyland and blasting high into the empty net.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Crusaders Paul Heatley celebrates with his team-mates at Seaview.

Shortly after the break, Ross Clarke made it 3-1 after the winger’s seemingly attempted pass to Heatley at the far post nestled in the corner of the net.

Clarke then found Heatley again, who darted past Hyland and walked the ball into the net for Crues’ fourth.

The home side rubbed further salt in Glenavon’s wounds when Billy Joe Burns’ stunning diagonal pass found Heatley, whose goalbound header was nodded in by Jamie McGonigle.

Soon after, McGonigle struck again after charging down the left before cutting inside and smashing in Crusaders’ sixth goal of the night to complete the rout.

Larne maintained their push for the top three with a comfortable 5-0 win over Warrenpoint at Inver Park.

Tiernan Lynch’s men took the lead after just eight minutes when Josh Robinson capitalised on Martin Donnelly’s corner, rising to head past Warrenpoint keeper Andy Coleman.

The hosts doubled their advantage on 19 minutes when Andrew Mitchell netted from the penalty spot, with Coleman needlessly fouling Ronan Hale in the box.

Larne asserted their authority further in the second half as Donnelly produced an exquisite lob over Coleman from Faud Sale’s assist, while Hale put the game beyond doubt minutes later with a pinpoint finish into the bottom corner to make it 4-0.

Substitute David McDaid added a fifth on 90 minutes with a fine lob.

Carrick Rangers came from behind to seal a point in a 1-1 draw against Dungannon Swifts.

The visitors took a 1-0 lead into the break as Cahal McGinty headed home from Michael Carvill’s free-kick.

Carrick, though, responded after the break as striker Cathair Friel beat Roy Carroll after the ball fell invitingly at his feet, with Dunganon unable to clear their lines. Neither side could find a winner.