Flashback: Jack Nicklaus brings curtain down on glittering career at St Andrews in 2005

Jack Nicklaus completed his last competitive round of golf at the Open at St Andrews in July 2005.
USA's Jack Nicklaus waves to the crowds on the eighteenth hole  at St Andrews in 2005.USA's Jack Nicklaus waves to the crowds on the eighteenth hole  at St Andrews in 2005.
USA's Jack Nicklaus waves to the crowds on the eighteenth hole at St Andrews in 2005.

Nicklaus, the winner of 18 majors, called time on a glittering career at the age of 65.

Rapturous applause and cheers echoed around the famous venue as spectators showed their love and appreciation for the man affectionately known as ‘Golden Bear’.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

After hitting his tee shot at the 18th in his second round, Nicklaus received a 10-minute standing ovation from the crowd. On the 18th fairway, he gave his final farewell to professional golf while standing on the Swilcan Bridge.

He had missed the cut and was bowing out years after his peak, but a birdie on the last hole ensured Nicklaus finished on a high.

Even Tiger Woods winning his second Claret Jug could not take away from Nicklaus’ poignant swansong as one of the greatest brought down the curtain on a remarkable career.

p The British and Irish Lions suffered their first ever series defeat to Australia inJuly 2001.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Captained by Martin Johnson, the Lions made a successful start to the series.

Taking on Australia at The Gabba in Brisbane, tries from Jason Robinson, Dafydd James, Brian O’Driscoll and Scott Quinnell were added to by three conversions and a penalty from Jonny Wilkinson to secure a 29-13 victory.

The second Test took place at the Colonial Stadium in Melbourne and the Australians levelled the series with a 35-14 triumph.

The series then went down to a decider at the ANZ Stadium in Sydney.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Three Matt Burke penalties helped Australia into a 9-3 lead, before Robinson crossed for a try and Wilkinson’s conversion gave the Lions a 10-9 advantage. Daniel Herbert saw Burke convert his try as Australia retook the lead and another Wilkinson penalty made it 16-13.

Wilkinson converted his own try, but Hebert crossed for a second and Burke’s conversion made it 23-20 for the hosts.

Another Wilkinson penalty levelled the scores before two late penalties from Burke sealed the match – and the series.

Comment Guidelines

National World encourages reader discussion on our stories. User feedback, insights and back-and-forth exchanges add a rich layer of context to reporting. Please review our Community Guidelines before commenting.