Larne protest cancelled ‘out of respect for the Queen’

The organisers believed to be behind a protest expected to take place in Larne tonight (Friday) have said it is cancelled.

Friday, 9th April 2021, 4:32 pm

A post on social media by “Protest in Larne Town” says: “We have decided to cancel our protest for tonight to show our respect for the Queen at this time.”

The group said earlier this week that a protest had been planned for Friday evening at the Harbour Roundabout.

Earlier this afternoon, Mid and East Antrim Councillor Andrew Clarke had called for a protest, believed to be planned in Larne this evening, to be suspended as a mark of respect following the death of the Duke of Edinburgh on Friday morning.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

A protest at the Antiville roundabout in Larne earlier this week. Photo by Kelvin Boyes / Press Eye.

In a social media post, Cllr Clarke, a DUP Coast Road representative, said: “Saddened to hear the sad news of the passing of HRH Prince Philip. A life of exemplary duty, and my thoughts and prayers are with Her Majesty The Queen.

“I believe it would be appropriately respectful for this evening’s protest in Larne to be suspended.”
Larne Lough Alliance Cllr Danny Donnelly said on social media earlier on Friday: “Disruption and trouble on our streets is very bad for the town and could result loss of investment and threaten jobs in the area.

“Some recent protests have turned violent with cars being hijacked and burned out and police being attacked with petrol bombs and bricks.

“Police officers are our family members, friends and neighbours. They live in our communities and go to work to keep us all safe. They should not be attacked for putting on a uniform and keeping order on our streets.”

Councillor Andrew Clarke.