Meghan Markle has told Oprah Winfrey that the royal family could not expect her and Prince Harry to remain silent if they are “perpetuating falsehoods about us”.
In a teaser clip for an upcoming interview with Winfrey, the Duchess of Sussex speaks candidly to the TV host about her time as a working royal.
‘There is a lot that has been lost already’
The Oprah With Meghan And Harry: A CBS Primetime Special interview will air in the US on Sunday (7 March) and then in the UK on Monday (8 March).
The interview is expected to give greater insight into Meghan and Harry’s time as working royals together.
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex quit their roles as senior working royals in March 2020, and now live in the United States. Buckingham Palace announced last month that the couple would not be returning to royal duties.
In the 30-second teaser clip, which has been released by CBS, Winfrey asks the duchess: "How do you feel about the palace hearing you speak your truth today?”.
Markle replies by saying that she doesn’t know how the palace could expect her and Harry to remain silent, referring to the palace as “The Firm”.
She said: "I don't know how they could expect that, after all of this time, we would still just be silent if there is an active role that The Firm is playing in perpetuating falsehoods about us."
“And, if that comes with risk of losing things, I mean, I ... there is a lot that has been lost already,” Markle adds.
The teaser clip comes after Buckingham Palace announced on Wednesday (3 March) that it will launch an investigation into allegations of bullying made by former members of staff against Markle.
A report in The Times published on Wednesday claimed that the duchess faced a complaint when she was a working royal.