Ian Baraclough says people are writing Steven Davis off prematurely
Northern Ireland manager Ian Baraclough has warned people writing off Steven Davis’ international career they are doing so prematurely.
The veteran Rangers midfielder, who has earned a record 132 caps for his country, has been included in Baraclough’s 25-man squad for this month’s friendlies against Luxembourg and Hungary.
There had been speculation over whether the 37-year-old would continue following the end of Northern Ireland’s unsuccessful World Cup qualifying campaign.
Yet Baraclough insists the former Southampton player remains committed and is firmly in his plans as he looks ahead to the start of the Nations League programme in the summer.
"Huge question mark" over North West 200 in 2023, warns Mervyn Whyte
Phillip McCallen optimistic Ulster Grand Prix will return in 2023 as talks resume with Tourism NI
Fast uphill section of Ulster Grand Prix course at Dundrod named 'Ray's Rise' in honour of legendary Dromara Destroyer Raymond McCullough
Linfield hit by two-goal lead loss in late Europa first-leg drama
Manx Grand Prix: Michael Dunlop gears up for Classic Superbike victory bid on new Team Classic Suzuki GSX-R750
Baraclough said: “I know it’s a question that’s going to be asked every (press) conference but my conversations with Steven have been no different – looking forward to the two games, looking forward to June.
“He still was one of our best players against Italy and that just shows you that if he’s got any thoughts of finishing or quitting, or if anyone wants to try to finish him, then they’re going down the wrong road with that.”
Northern Ireland play in Luxembourg on March 25 before hosting Hungary at Windsor Park four days later. They will be the side’s first outings since they wrapped up their World Cup qualifiers with a creditable goalless draw against Italy, a result which denied the European champions an automatic place in Qatar.
The only issue concerning Davis had been fitness-related after a stop-start campaign at Ibrox but Baraclough expects him to be able to join up with the group.
Baraclough thinks the problems he has had this term may even have fuelled his hunger to continue on the international front.
Baraclough said: “He’s out of the picture at Rangers at the moment having had a couple of little niggles and the team have done well, so it’s been difficult for him to get back into the side.
“That’s probably something new for Steven, having to contend with that, which means he’s looking forward to meeting up with the group of guys and being part of our squad.
“He’s had a couple of setbacks, a small calf issue, a thigh issue, but I’ve not been told he won’t be fit for us come next week.”
Leicester defender Jonny Evans is not included in Baraclough’s squad due to injury but Fleetwood winger Paddy Lane and Sunderland’s Trai Hume have earned their first senior call-ups.
There are also returns for five players in Shayne Lavery, Dion Charles, Daniel Ballard, Matthew Kennedy and Luke Donnelly but Jordan Jones, Dale Taylor, Jamal Lewis, Conor Washington and Ethan Galbraith are not involved.
Baraclough said: “We’ve tried to go as strong as possible for the two friendlies and I’ve said that it’s like a reset for the next two years.
“We’ll hopefully try and put a good platform in place for what hopefully will be a successful two years, a Nation’s League campaign followed by the Euros.”
A message from the Editor:
Thank you for reading this story on our website. While I have your attention, I also have an important request to make of you.
In order for us to continue to provide high quality and trusted local news on this free-to-read site, I am asking you to also please purchase a copy of our newspaper whenever you are able to do so.
Our journalists are highly trained and our content is independently regulated by IPSO to some of the most rigorous standards in the world.
But being your eyes and ears comes at a price. So we need your support more than ever to buy our newspapers during this crisis.
With the coronavirus lockdown having a major impact on many of our local valued advertisers - and consequently the advertising that we receive - we are more reliant than ever on you helping us to provide you with news and information by buying a copy of our newspaper when you can safely.
You can also enjoy unlimited access to the best news from across Northern Ireland and the UK by subscribing to newsletter.co.uk
With a digital subscription, you can read more than five articles, see fewer ads, enjoy faster load times, and get access to exclusive newsletters and content. Visit https://www.newsletter.co.uk/subscriptions now to sign up.