Michael McCrudden brace as Cliftonville win along with Larne and Glenavon

Cliftonville extended their unbeaten league run to five games last night with a comfortable 3-0 victory over Dungannon Swifts.

Tuesday, 6th April 2021, 10:17 pm
Updated Tuesday, 6th April 2021, 10:32 pm

The Reds have produced extremely strong form at Solitude this season and despite a solid start by Dungannon, Paddy McLaughlin’s men edged ahead through Michael McCrudden.

They doubled their lead shortly after the restart as defender Ryan O’Reilly grabbed his first goal for the club, poking in a pass across goal.

McCrudden was on the scoresheet again, this time smartly chipping the ball over an onrushing Roy Carroll to put the result beyond any doubt.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Larne’s Joshua Robinson and Portadown’s Lee Bonis

There was also a win for Larne as they edged past Portadown 2-1 at Shamrock Park.

Larne – coming off a 3-0 weekend triumph over Carrick Rangers – came in motivated to close the gap on Coleraine and Glentoran and got off to a perfect start when Andy Mitchell scored a 10th minute penalty.

Portadown equalised in first-half added time through Lee Bonis with the 21-year-old making the most of an advantage to score from close range.

The visitors found their way back in front through Ronan Hale, who scored yet another screamer by striking the ball with the outside of his right boot past Jacob Carney into the top corner from a tight angle.

Glenavon continued their unbeaten streak by recording a 1-0 victory at home to Warrenpoint Town.

It looked like the two sides would go into the interval on even terms until Danny Purkis latched on to an attempted backpass in the 45th minute and rounded Gabriel Sava to put the Lurgan Blues ahead, which proved to be enough to secure all three points.

A superb second-half Cathair Friel volley helped Carrick earn a point with a 1-1 draw at home to Crusaders.

It took Crusaders just four minutes to break the deadlock as Jamie McGonigle pounced onto a poor backpass and took the ball around helpless goalkeeper Aaron Hogg before slotting his eighth goal of the season into an empty net.

Friel then produced a moment of magic, taking the ball down on his chest and firing in from the edge of the box.



A message from the Editor:

Thank you for reading this story on our website. While I have your attention, I also have an important request to make of you.

With the coronavirus lockdown having a major impact on many of our advertisers - and consequently the revenue we receive - we are more reliant than ever on you taking out a digital subscription.

Subscribe to newsletter.co.uk and enjoy unlimited access to the best Northern Irish and UK news and information online and on our app. With a digital subscription, you can read more than five articles, see fewer ads, enjoy faster load times, and get access to exclusive newsletters and content. Visit https://www.newsletter.co.uk/subscriptions now to sign up.

Our journalism costs money and we rely on advertising, print and digital revenues to help to support them. By supporting us, we are able to support you in providing trusted, fact-checked content for this website.

Thank you,

Alistair Bushe