Bobby Storey funeral: Beattie welcomes PPS review of ‘no prosecution’ decision

Doug Beattie has welcomed the decision by the Public Prosecution Service (PPS) to review its ‘no prosecution’ determination in the Bobby Storey funeral case.

Thursday, 1st April 2021, 4:50 pm
Doug Beattie MLA. Picture: Jonathan Porter/PressEye

The Ulster Unionist’s justice spokesperson said he believes the original decision is “flawed” as the “law must apply equally to everyone”.

It was announced on Tuesday that none of the 24 Sinn Fein members who had been under investigation for potential breaches of the Covid regulations last June would face charges.

However, the Director of Public Prosecutions has now agreed that a review of the original decision will be carried out by a senior PPS lawyer “who was not involved in taking the original decisions”.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Mr Beattie said: “I welcome the announcement of this review, and indeed yesterday I wrote to the DPP requesting one on behalf of my constituents who have been materially affected both financially and emotionally by the original decision not to prosecute.

“The PPS decision not to prosecute has huge ramifications for those that did adhere faithfully to the regulations. Emotionally many of my constituents have been affected by this decision and many have also been affected financially.”

Mr Beattie added: “I believe the original decision was flawed and I will await with interest the findings of this review.

“There is no doubt in my mind that the original decision did great damage to the confidence in the PPS and the local justice system. In any democratic society that purports to operate within the rule of law, the law must apply equally to everyone without exception. Nobody in this society can be off-limits in any investigation, whether that be the President of Sinn Fein or a humble Ulster Unionist MLA from Upper Bann.”

A message from the Editor:

Thank you for reading this story on our website. While I have your attention, I also have an important request to make of you.

With the coronavirus lockdown having a major impact on many of our advertisers — and consequently the revenue we receive — we are more reliant than ever on you taking out a digital subscription.

Subscribe to newsletter.co.uk and enjoy unlimited access to the best Northern Ireland and UK news and information online and on our app. With a digital subscription, you can read more than 5 articles, see fewer ads, enjoy faster load times, and get access to exclusive newsletters and content. Visit https://www.newsletter.co.uk/subscriptions now to sign up.

Our journalism costs money and we rely on advertising, print and digital revenues to help to support them. By supporting us, we are able to support you in providing trusted, fact-checked content for this website.

Alistair Bushe

Editor