Man charged over Katie Brankin Limavady murder

Police have charged a man with the murder of Kathleen ‘Katie’ Brankin, who was stabbed to death in a popular tourist area in Co Londonderry.

Forensic officers at the Swanns Bridge Glamping site near near Limavady
Forensic officers at the Swanns Bridge Glamping site near near Limavady

Katie, 37 and from the Newtownabbey area, died in the incident near Limavady on Monday.

At about 3pm today, detectives said they had been given an additional 36 hours to question a 53-year-old man.

Then, shortly after 8pm, the PSNI announced its Major Investigation Team had charged the 53-year-old with murder.

A 53-year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of murdering Kathleen Brankin who was stabbed to death at an outdoor accommodation site in Limavady. Picture: Arthur Allison/ Pacemaker.

He is due to appear at Ballymena Magistrates Court today via videolink.

Both Ms Brankin and the suspect were on holiday at an outdoor accommodation site on Seacoast Road at the time.

Police had earlier appealed for anyone with information, or who witnessed any suspicious activity, to contact the investigation team.

The community is said to have been stunned by the death.

SDLP MLA Cara Hunter said: “This is such a beautiful, welcoming area.

“We welcome thousands of visitors every year and something like this happening is unheard of. My thoughts are with the victim’s family and friends.

“This is a close-knit community, a farming community, and a lot of visitors come here. This is unheard of and shocking.”

As well as offering his condolences to her family, MP for the area Gregory Campbell said the scene of the crime at Swanns Bridge Glamping was a “very, very popular scenic tourist site”.

“It is the main road between the north-west and the Causeway coastal road. Many, many tourists use this, and people on day trips,” he said.

Sinn Fein MLA Caoimhe Archibald offered her “deepest condolences” to the woman’s family and friends.

“I’d encourage anyone with any information that can help the investigation to get in contact with the police,” she added.

More from this reporter:

——— ———

A message from the Editor:

Thank you for reading this story on our website. While I have your attention, I also have an important request to make of you.

With the coronavirus lockdown having a major impact on many of our advertisers — and consequently the revenue we receive — we are more reliant than ever on you taking out a digital subscription.

Subscribe to and enjoy unlimited access to the best Northern Ireland and UK news and information online and on our app. With a digital subscription, you can read more than 5 articles, see fewer ads, enjoy faster load times, and get access to exclusive newsletters and content. Visit now to sign up.

Our journalism costs money and we rely on advertising, print and digital revenues to help to support them. By supporting us, we are able to support you in providing trusted, fact-checked content for this website.

Alistair Bushe