Warning after dog poisoned

Dog owners have been warned to be on their guard after reports a pet was poisoned in the Tandragee Road area of Portadown.

Wednesday, 14th April 2021, 3:52 pm

Local MLA Jonathan Buckley put owners on their guard after what he described as ‘an upsetting incident’.

Mr Buckley said: “I have spoken to one distraught family who have sadly lost their dog as a result of coming into contact with highly toxic rat poisoning in recent days.

“This is highly distressing to lose a family pet in this manner of suffering, and I would ask people to please be vigilant on the Tandragee Road area of Portadown.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

“PSNI are currently investigating this upsetting incident and the source of the highly toxic substance.”

It’s understood the nine-year-old dog had consumed the poison earlier this week.

The first realisation his family had was when he had begun to take fits.

As he showed no signs of improvement the family took their much loved pet to the vet who confirmed the dog had ingested poison.

Mr Buckley said the matter was now with animal welfare.

He added: “I would ask pet owners to be vigilant, a family pet is very much cherished and no one would want to see them poisoned.”

Concerns over Craigavon Senior High School plan - read hereEditor’s message:

Thank you for reading this article. We’re more reliant on your support than ever as the shift in consumer habits brought about by Coronavirus impacts our advertisers.

Please consider purchasing a copy of the paper. You can also support trusted, fact-checked journalism by taking out a digital subscription of the News Letter.