IRISH LEAGUE: Glenavon hit five past Ballymena United at Mourneview Park

Glenavon 5 Ballymena Utd 0

By The Newsroom
Saturday, 22nd October 2016, 4:57 pm
Updated Tuesday, 25th October 2016, 5:11 pm
Glenavon's Eoin Bradley
celebrates after scoring to make it 1-0
Glenavon's Eoin Bradley celebrates after scoring to make it 1-0

Ballymena United’s ten match unbeaten run came to an end as Glenavon run out 5-0 winners at Mourneview Park.

Eoin Bradley with two, Ciaran Martyn, Greg Moorhouse and an owngoal from Jim Ervin sealed the win for the Lurgan Blues.

As for United they will have to go back to the drawing board as the home side deserved their victory.

In the opening minutes there was a coming together of Glenavon’s Eoin Bradley and United’s Caolan Loughran in the opening minutes which resulted in Loughran lying in a heap on the ground and United boss David Jeffrey in a rage on the touchline but the referee waved play on.

Then Bradley showed his pace in the early stages as he left Kyle Owens in his wake and the big defender bundled him down on the edge of the box to earn himself a yellow card.

Bradley on the other hand dusted himself down and curled in a beautiful free-kick that gave his side a 1-0 lead in the seventh minute.

It was a wonderful strike from the Lurgan Blues centre forward.

In the 21st minute it was 2-0 to Glenavon. A cross from the right hand sided was cushioned home by the head of Ciaran Martyn. A nice finish from the veteran midfielder.

United had a chance to draw level a few minutes later but Johnny McMurray’s first effort was blocked on the line by Rhys Marshall and his next attempt was just off target.

It was 3-0 to Glenavon in the 29th minute. A ball from the right was deflected into the net by United defender Jim Ervin.

Just before the break United had a chance but Cathair Friel’s shot was well saved by Jonathan Tuffey,

United had a chance in the 51st minute. However substitute Conor McCloskey’s shot from the edge of the box was off target but United had started the second half brightly.

United nearly opened their account in the 63rd minute but Willie Faulkner’s shot hit the post.

Bradley then tried his luck from long range but his effort flew over the bar with McAuley scrambling.

In the 72nd minute United should have scored but Sub Neil Lowry missed the target when he should have scored.

Lowry had another chance two minutes later vut he shot straight at Tuffey.

Then it was 4-0. A terrible pass from United’s Danny Wallace was picked-up by Paddy McCourt. His clever pass released Bradley and he made no mistake.

Greg Moorhouse then added to United’s misery as he made it 5-0 near the death.The substitute running clear to shot past McAuley.

Glenavon: Tuffey, Kelly, Lindsay, Marshall, Cooper, Bradley, Hall, Sykes, McCourt, Martyn, Singleton.

Subs: Kilmartin, Patton, McGrory, Moorhouse, Braniff.

Ballymena United: McAuley, Kane, Owens, Thompson, Jenkins, Faulkner, Friel, Wallace, Ervin, McMurray, Loughran.

Subs: Flynn, Gage, McCloskey. E.Kane, Lowry.

Ref: R Crangle.