RUGBY: Second half try romp gives Armagh SONI Ulster Premiership points at Dungannon


By The Newsroom
Saturday, 10th September 2016, 6:49 pm
Updated Thursday, 15th September 2016, 4:03 pm
Armagh's Chris Colvin who scored in the win over Dungannon
Armagh's Chris Colvin who scored in the win over Dungannon

A second half try blitz saw Armagh put the outcome of this SONI Ulster Premiership League game beyond doubt.

Having accounted for Ballymena in the first round of the First Trust Senior Cup last weekend, to back that away performance up with a victory at Stevenson Park - and with a changed side - sets the City boys in the West up well for the All Ireland League challenge.

Dungannon started strongly and were rewarded with a Jake Finlay penalty on six minutes.

Armagh dominated for lengthy spells after that but unforced errors were to deny them until the 32nd minute when young winger Ryan Purvis kicked a penalty two minutes having missed his first shot at goal.

Captain Ali Birch, up against his former club, then went on a jinxing run, the space opened up inside for Stuart Lester - also playing against his old club - and he raced through for the first try of the match.

Purvis converted for a 10-3 lead.

Dungannon were not to be outdone, and they capitalised on an Armagh mistake, moved the ball left and right before fullback Paul Armstrong backed himself to go over. Finlay converted to send the sides in 10-all at the break.

Dungannon introduced new overseas signing, Tiauna Poto and he kicked the second half off and one minute in split the poles with a penalty after a tip tackle.

Purvis responded immediately for Armagh and then the visitors capitalised on error after error by Dungannon.

Fullback Timothy McNiece crossed twice, Purvis raced away after an intercept and Chris Colvin completed the Armagh account when he crossed after securing a dropped ball and galloping around the cover for a fine individual score.

Purvis kicked one of the four conversions.

To their credit, Dungannon lifted themselves for the closing minute and Poto raced through three players before popping a pass out to Seamus Mallon, who had the simple task of running in and touching down.

Finlay converted to take the bad look of the scoreline.