A report in your newspaper states that: “Sinn Fein Stormont leader Michelle O’Neill has accused the DUP of ‘disgracefully holding the public to ransom’, after the DUP said it would block the election of an Assembly speaker”. (see link below)
In a further statement, reported by various news sites, the same Sinn Fein leader accused the DUP of “denying democracy”.
Whatever inconvenience is caused to the public by a refusing to work the present Stormont Assembly system, it will be seen by all as utterly inconsequential in comparison to the IRA’s decades of murder and terror in its efforts to obtain its own way.
They punished the public with the bomb and the bullet in pursuit of their own self interest! They are where they are by ‘virtue’ of their terrorist campaign and the murder of many hundreds of innocent people!
I am saddened that someone from the DUP did not immediately make this point in an effort to contradict the weasel words of Sinn Fein!
Rev Ivan Foster (Rtd), Kilskeery, Co Tyrone
• Other commentary:
• Editorial May 14: Crowds of all ages flock to Balmoral to savour a normal show
• Nigel Dodds May 13: Reg Empey is attacking other unionists when voters want a united approach
• Samuel Morrison May 13: The TUV got 8% of the vote in Northern Ireland and can no longer be ignored
• Editorial May 13: The NIO has been right to send a minister to US amid American pressure on UK
• Lord Empey May 12: The DUP have no-one to blame but themselves for disastrous election
• Editorial May 12: Any elaborate legacy system is likely to turn against the state
• Peter Robinson May 11: Ignore those who are urging DUP to just go back into Stormont
• John Cushnahan May 11: SF hypocrisy to attack DUP leader over MP seat while boycotting Westminster